02/09/2021 0 Comments
Professional vs DIY Asbestos Removal – What's the Difference?
We’ve all heard about the dangers of asbestos, but most people don't know as much about asbestos removal.
The fact is that although asbestos removal is extremely important, it's also challenging to do safely. You must take certain precautions when removing asbestos to protect the health of yourself and those around you. In fact, research shows that asbestos is the chief cause of death in the workplace in Canada.
You may be wondering how you can safely remove asbestos and the differences between professional asbestos removal and DIY processes.
In today’s blog, we’ll look at what you should know about having asbestos removed from your home or business and why you should never try this on your own.
The Proper Asbestos Removal Process
If you're wondering how to remove asbestos from your home, DIY asbestos removal is neither practical nor recommended. In fact, the process of removing asbestos is more complicated than many homeowners or business owners realize.
For instance, asbestos shouldn't be removed using power tools or air pressure hoses. These items can disturb this material which may end up going airborne as a result.
Difference Between DIY and Professional Asbestos Removal
Removing asbestos without disturbing it is a challenge best left to experienced professionals. The same is true for disposing of it appropriately. One of the most essential elements of safely removing asbestos is to dispose of the materials carefully.
A skilled and certified professional asbestos removal company will be equipped to remove your asbestos for you in the proper way. We use professional and HEPA-sealed vacuum equipment for the gathering and disposal of asbestos. In addition, we also disposed of the hazardous material at a facility that has been designated for this purpose.
The professional company will also have the necessary transportation of dangerous goods license to transport the asbestos materials.
The Dangers of DIY Asbestos Removal
While DIY asbestos removal can sound appealing, it can be hazardous to your health and surrounding environment if performed incorrectly.
- Health Effects. Asbestos can cause a wide array of health issues if not correctly disposed of. Mesothelioma, asbestosis, and lung cancer are just a few things caused by asbestos exposure.
- Inappropriate Methods. If you or someone you know decides to pursue DIY asbestos removal, taking proper precautions is paramount. Our methods prevent the material from dispersing and are consistent with Workplace Safety Guidelines.
- Wrong Equipment. Adequate facial protection must be worn, and the work environment must be sufficiently ventilated. Most health issues related to asbestos come from inhalation.
- Illegal & Hazardous Disposal. The material will need to be disposed of in designated locations designated for handling and disposing of asbestos.
- Accidents. A lot can go wrong during the removal and transit of hazardous materials. Professional companies such as Breathe Easy Eco Solutions have environmental insurance. This insurance offers protection by covering any third-party claim for physical harm stemming from accidental contamination or pollution event. Thus, when you hire a professional, both you and the company enjoy protection from such accidents.
Don’t Try This Yourself—Hire Trusted Professionals for Asbestos Removal in Winnipeg
If you need to remove asbestos from your property, call a professional team. Our team at Breathe Easy Eco-Solutions is here to help you with safe, efficient, and affordable asbestos removal.
Removing asbestos is essential to your health, which is why it needs to be done correctly and safely. Don't try to do it to yourself and please leave it to a team of experienced professionals. Don’t hesitate to contact us today to discuss the process and to get a free quote.
Leave a comment